Last week we talked about curb appeal and offered some tips on how to make your home more attractive to buyers checking it out from the street riding by. You must have done a great job on the outside because now you have showing appointments scheduled! Here are some ideas on how to be "show ready".
1. Clean. Scrub the bathrooms, the kitchen...everything. Put together a handy tote with quick cleaning supplies and fresh towels so you can be ready in a flash!
2. Clear off the refrigerator and counters. It gives the kitchen a clean, streamlined apprearance.
3. Candles or air fresheners? Neither...buyers are typically suspicious of odor masking techniques. You won't need these if you keep up on tip #1 above.
4. Clear the floors. Provide the inhabitants of your household with hampers so the picking up of bedrooms becomes a smidge easier to handle. Don't forget to vacuum and sweep the floors too.
5. Freshen up throw pillows and decor. Less is more when it comes to decorative items; this seller used a single color in the toss pillows and small pieces such as the mantle vase and candy dish throughout the room to give it a designer look.
It's not always easy to achieve all this with pets, children, job schedules, etc. but doing your best a little bit each day will help take some of the stress out of showing appointments. Offering a clean and tidy home goes a long way with buyers!
Check back each week as we offer this multi-post series on Preparing Your Home For Sale!